Bill Ward's Drums

Go down

Bill Ward's Drums

Post by Nilez on Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:17 pm

How come there are no photos of Billy Ward's Drums in '69? If you listen to the 1st three LP's it does not match up. I am hearing a
top tom and two floors, unless he uses his bass drum, but if you listen, especially on Iron Man, it don't work out.
Volume 4 has a photo of a straight 5 piece? But all the video of Sabbath in pre Volume 4 has a straight 4 piece. where's the missing floor tom?

Nilez

Nilez
VIP
VIP

Male
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Swamp-Ass
Swamp-Ass Master:
40/40  (40/40)

Back to top Go down

Re: Bill Ward's Drums

Post by KaptainSteve on Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:33 am

Nilez, In here may lie the answer:

AAJ: As a musician, how would you say that you grew from the time the first album was recorded and then through Heaven and Hell, during which tour you left initially?

BW: I think the growing came from—well, there's so many different ways of growing. Let's just take the example, if it's okay, of technique, and I grew because we continued to play and tour. We did multiple world tours. We played so often, even after that kind of slowing down period after the third album we still played all the time. Instead of playing a full year we just played for nine months of the year. So, you learn to define, you learn to grow, you learn to get better at certain things. I mean, I went into all kinds of different techniques or ways of playing or different drum lineups—two bass drums, one bass drum, multiple kits, 27-36 shells, 27 shells, crazy things just trying all these different ideas and that happened throughout the '70s.

AAJ: 27-inch bass drum shells?

BW: No, no, no—27 shells.

AAJ: 27 different shells?

BW: Yeah, yeah.

AAJ: At the same time?

BW: Yeah, just these massive drum kits. Enormous flipping drum kits. [Laughter] Ridiculously stupid drum kits. But I went to 26-inch bass drums and pushing air through a 26-inch bass drum when you're in your twenties, that's pretty cool. I'm 57 now and I'm still pushing air through 26-inch bass drums and that takes something else. That becomes different again. But I think I saw the biggest growth, if there was growth, in the way that I was more in harmony with my instrument because you're constantly learning, so I think you do get better as time goes on.

Source Here.

According to the legend, way back in 1969, while you were part of a blues / rock band called "Earth", you and your well known partners decided to end one of your shows with the first two songs you had written together - "Black Sabbath" and "Wicked World". Do you have any memories about the crowd's reaction to those two songs?

Well, I wish that I did, but sadly my memory has faded over the years... I'm sorry, I honestly can't remember that specific show. I can remember when we started introducing our own material into the show. I can remember the reactions from other shows when we first started doing that. Everybody loved the music. They thought it was incredible, you know, the reaction was electrifying. Like an almost instantaneous amalgamation between the band and the audience! [laugh]

Everybody loved it, but I would add to that, with the exception of when we went to New York for the first time. (When) we played in New York, it was like the third or the fourth gig we ever did on that very first tour of America. The New York audience just sat there. We went on kicking a**, and you know, doing our show (the way we did in) 1970, and the New York audience just sat there and they didn't respond. And after about the third or fourth song, the band became so frustrated with the audience that we actually started throwing things at them! And then they reacted. That night in New York, we played I think eight or nine encores.

KaptainSteve

Male
Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2007-12-27

Swamp-Ass
Swamp-Ass Master:
40/40  (40/40)

http://www.swamp-ass.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nilez on Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:13 pm

Good Answer. I still had trouble getting to hear your tunes you recently emailed to me. You could have told me you had 'em on Band Mix. I have account on that.
It's sounds good. I'll give it a serious listen later. I gotta cook the chicken.

Nilez
VIP
VIP

Male
Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Swamp-Ass
Swamp-Ass Master:
40/40  (40/40)

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:55 pm

Ludwig's the best & nobody, I mean NOBODY beats their snares.
Admin
VIP
VIP

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Swamp-Ass
Swamp-Ass Master:
40/50  (40/50)

http://swamp-ass.com

Back to top Go down