Closed
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stockwell's House & Barn Burn To The Ground.

Go down

Stockwell's House & Barn Burn To The Ground. Empty Stockwell's House & Barn Burn To The Ground.

Post by Admin Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:46 am

'Chick' loses everything in fire

News-Times Staff
Article Last Updated: 06/19/2008 05:47:38 PM EDT

It feels like it was yesterday that I was at the Danbury Fair Racearena cheering on my favorite driver.

The one driver who always got the most cheers has recently experienced a great loss.
Charles "Chick" Stockwell, 80, who was voted most popular driver six
times, 1976 to 1981, lost almost everything when lightning struck on
June 10.
The lightning hit the barn behind his Woodbury home and fire quickly spread to the house.

Mr. Stockwell got out of the house in time, but lost all of his
racing trophies, racing memorabilia and his 1936 Ford, the first car he
raced in Danbury, which had been fully restored just three years ago.
The car is a total loss.

He also lost a 1928 Nash, a 1989 Camero and a Harley-Davidson motorcyle.
Some of his belongings were saved. The cows that he keeps on the grounds are fine.
Mr. Stockwell is number one on the all-time win list at the Danbury Fair Racearena.
He accumulated 51 features, 77 heats and 26 consi races and had won the track championship nine times.

Mr. Stockwell, who could not be reached for comment for this column, is "doing fine," according to his friend Kevin Brown.

"I remember him always having time for the fans, he was never too busy to sign an autograph," Mr. Brown said.

"He can't believe that people still care about him, I don't think it's set in yet," Mr. Brown added.

All the success he enjoyed never changed him. He was a farmer then and still.

"He still looks like he's 50 and still does his own haying every day," Mr. Brown said.

A fundraiser picnic is planned for July 5, at the home of Mr. Stockwell's son, Tom, on 66 Peter Road in Woodbury.

Everyone is invited and donations of pictures, Racearena reviews or
other memorabilia would be appreciated. It starts at noon and goes to
"whenever." The family also asked that you bring your own beverage and
food.

The S.N.Y.R.A. reunion is July 27, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., at the
O'Neill Center, Western Connecticut State University Westside campus,
Mill Plain Road in Danbury.
The reunion this year is dedicated to Chick Stockwell and the proceeds will be donated to him.

If you cannot attend the picnic, but would like to help, e-mail Kevin Brown at kbrown151@aol.com.

Information also is available at the Danbury Fair Racearena's Web site, http://www.danbury-racearena.com.

Listen Sunday morning to the Carey/Coffey ESPN radio talk show on
940/1510 AM; I'll join them on the air, sometime between 10 a.m. and
noon, with more information about the fundraiser.
Admin
Admin
VIP
VIP

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2007-12-15

Swamp-Ass
Swamp-Ass Master:
Stockwell's House & Barn Burn To The Ground. Left_bar_bleue40/50Stockwell's House & Barn Burn To The Ground. Empty_bar_bleue  (40/50)

http://swamp-ass.com

Back to top Go down